Vol. 44 (4): 812-818, July – August, 2018
Osama M. Sarhan 1, 2, Ahmed El Helaly 2,3, Abdulhakim Al Otay 2, Mustafa Al Ghanbar 2, Ziad Nakshabandi 2
1 Urology and Nephrology Center, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt; 2 Division Urology Pediatric, Prince Sultan Military Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; 3 Mansoura Health Insurance Hospital, Mansoura, Egypt
Purpose: To assess the need for postnatal evaluation and the medium term outcome in patients with isolated unilateral low grade prenatally detected hydronephrosis.
Materials and Methods: We prospectively selected 424 patients (690 kidney units) with a prenatal diagnosis of urinary tract dilatation between 2010 and 2013. We included only those patients with isolated unilateral low-grade hydronephrosis who underwent at least 2 postnatal ultrasound examinations. The Society for Fetal Urology (SFU) grading system was utilized for assessment of the hydronephrosis. We excluded patients with bilateral dilation or other urological abnormalities. The fate of hydronephrosis including resolution, stability or worsening was documented.
Results: A total of 66 infants (44 boys and 22 girls) with antenatally diagnosed unilateral urinary tract dilation (23 right and 43 left) were identified. Ultrasounds showed SFU grade 1 hydronephrosis in 32 patients (48%) and SFU grade 2 hydronephrosis in 34 (52%). After a mean follow-up period of 32 months (range 12 to 60), 37 patients (56%) had complete resolution of hydronephrosis while the remaining 29 were stable (44%). None of our patients developed UTIs during follow-up and none required surgical intervention.
Conclusions: Prenatally detected, isolated unilateral low-grade hydronephrosis usually have a favorable prognosis. All cases in our cohort showed either stability or resolution of hydronephrosis without any harmful consequences. Based on our findings on medium-term in this category of patients, long-term follow-up is not warranted.
Keywords: Hydronephrosis; Follow-Up Studies; Urinary Tract